Sunday, November 16, 2008

Something Awry

I took a walk because I was uninspired and feeling annoyed about it. I went to Janoff's, which is a great stationery and art supply store, and bought a little notebook and a pen there. This notebook is going to be used exclusively for my new project, which is a series of thirty very short stories or essays (or maybe half will be stories and half essays). I'm stalled on that project currently and mad about this. Then I went into Milano Market and did not buy anything, but I fantasized about someday buying a lot of different things that they sell there, such as the imported provolone that hangs from ropes, and the chicken parm sandwiches on soft bread that looks a lot like challah bread, each with a sundried tomato on top held in place with a toothpick, a hot tray of which I saw a guy carry out from the cellar right in front of me.

Then I walked further uptown, up Broadway, until I veered east to Amsterdam at 120th because I had decided I wanted something from Cafe Fresh. I saw a young blonde preppie woman in a black fleece jacket walking the opposite way. She noticed her shoe was untied. To tie it, she lifted her leg up and rested the sole of her sneaker on the side of a building. To me this looked ridiculous and ostentatious. I remarked to myself, "Of course, she's too good to kneel down to tie her shoe. To stoop? To tie her shoe? Oh, she'd never!" and I said other things like this to myself, until I laughed and felt better. And now I still feel a little better about my life and my writing, and all that.

6 comments:

j.m. said...

I don't like stooping/kneeling to tie my shoes either. But I don't used buildings... I used planters or something similar that's not too ridiculous to put your foot upon.

Why, though? I need to be aware of my surroundings and ready to flee at a moment's notice, you see.

Amanda said...

Her foot was flat against the building at the level of her mid-chest; it was like she was showing off that she could pose like that and hold it. If I saw *you* do this, Joe, I'd be very happy.

Gregory said...

Ah, I've spent many an hour trying to jump-start inspiration by fondling notebooks at Janoff's...

Scott Garson said...

What's that Paul Auster novel about the notebooks? I've always suspected that one got started by him fondling notebooks in stores....

Amanda said...

Maybe Nicholas Sparks did that too.

vern said...

Can you picture Joe fleeing a scene? Hahahahahahaha.