Monday, December 29, 2008

Staple Collage




I made this collage just now out of stuff that I didn't have any specific use for. It was all lying around my desk and my living room, not being useful for anything, but not wanting to be thrown away. I didn't cut anything and I didn't even use glue, just staples.

Now that the collage is done and has been scanned in and posted here, I think it's okay for me to throw it away. But I'm not sure if I will, even so, now that it's become grander than the sum of its parts.

***

The blog I like today is Eric McHenry's blog Evan Said It. Eric is a great poet, but devotes his blog entirely to exploiting his son Evan and daughter Sage, publishing their precocious, adorable quotes. This blog will be on my blogroll soon.

***

It took me a really long time to finally download new updates for iTunes; I was running version 7.1 for like a year. Now I have 8.0.2, which includes the Genius tool, which I have been using. What Genius does is create playlist "sets" of similar-sounding music, so if you're in the mood for a certain kind of sound you don't have to make a playlist yourself. Genius has just told me that "Oh! Sweet Nothing" by the Velvet Underground is similar to "Turn a Square" by the Shins. But is it?

4 comments:

Ranger said...

Inspired by your techie prowess, I, too, just downloaded the most recent iTunes, mostly so I could try out this Genius thingie. But alas! Genius was "temporarily unavailable." I got a message saying that it could not match up any song at all with Alejandro Escovedo's "Crooked Frame," but that in the meantime, it highly recommended that I download some Beyonce.

Amanda B. said...

I just want to know why on earth one of those high school yearbook name cards was just lying about! I know you've lived in that apt. for a million years, but high school was definitely a million and a half years ago now.

Amanda said...

Amanda: My mom mailed me a stack of those cards a little while ago. I think it's funny that we ever used them -- 18-year-olds graduating high school, we had no phone numbers or addresses, just our names.

Melissa: So far, every time I request a Genius playlist, these two songs are on it: Do You Realize by the Flaming Lips and Boys Don't Cry by the Cure.

Daniel Bailey said...

that even said it blog is awesome. i work with kids (teenagers) and they say some pretty hilarious things. examples.

a kid asking for hydrocortozone cream: "can i have some...uh...homo...cloggings?"

some kid asking something that i'm unsure of: "can we ninjas?"

some kid threatening staff: "i'm going to shove that clipboard up your ass and carry you around like a popsicle."