Friday, January 9, 2009

An Internet Vacation...

...is something that, at this point, I am pretty sure I would not be able to take. Maybe in a few years? But this morning, for example, I put my radio playlist up on my MySpace blog, updated my Facebook and Twitter statuses, bought plane tickets online, and am posting here. My boss told me yesterday that she's been without internet access for a month. That was something I could not get my head around.

It occurs to me that, just as working in media made me burn out on internetty and TV-y and other stuff, being in grad school and writing has burned me out on fusty elbow-patch intellectualism (something I do usually enjoy a lot). Social networking and Blackberry culture, etc. are over the fence somewhere being like, "Come back! We've always been here for you!" The same thing discourse on Henry James was saying back when I worked for Bloomberg LP. I worry that I'm dumb for even bringing this up; that a lot of writers, publishers, and academics have already figured out how to integrate everything. Yes, I still like books -- for Pete's sake, I continue to make paper zines, even.

My impression right now is that there's a line drawn in the sand (I think Twitter is that line, actually) and people I know fall on one side of it or the other. But it's interesting to see the variety in who believes and doesn't believe.

***

Is Rick Nielsen going to be my celebrity crush of 2009? He's an improvement over Seth Rogen in 2008. But my mom told me she doesn't want me to like men who are older than her. RICK NIELSEN, OLDER THAN MY MOM.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surrender, Amanda- just don't give yourself away...
:)

Amanda said...

Wow, he found me!

Amanda said...

Now I'm embarrassed/fascinated by the constructions of "burn out [on]" I used in this post and didn't notice when I was writing it earlier today.

Daniel Bailey said...

i updated twitter via text message while at work today. i don't know if that means i have an internet problem.

Amanda said...

Sounds to me like you have an internet *solution.*

Amanda B. said...

I like posts about Word Twists much better than posts about Twatter. Just so you know.