Friday, June 5, 2009

Two True Pop Stories

I. Just now, I started writing a list of "Rap music that white people know all the words to (Play at weddings, etc.)". I came up with ten items and considered posting the list here. Then I wondered if people would be offended. Then I decided not to do it. Then I felt despair.

II. I have been listening to the new Green Day album in this, my hour of need, and I have to tell you all I find it magnificent. Is it actually good, or is my 1990s nostalgia so pronounced by now that I can't separate "good" from "having a pop-punk harmony"? You know what? I don't give a shit. The songs on this make me feel all jaded and sad and terrified and triumphant. It fills/articulates a void I suspected was in me but didn't know for sure.

3 comments:

Amanda B. said...

You should buy some extra copies, then, before they sell out!

Amanda said...

I can't listen to it anymore now because it's depressing the shit out of me.

Amanda said...

It's deeply troubling to me that I like this album so much. And you know me: usually I'm so unapologetic about liking things.