Thursday, July 16, 2009

Long Form

Yeah, I've been doing a lot of stuff lately. This blog has gotten slightly neglected, because I'm so busy and because Twitter has sufficed for the info quick-fix. I hereby resolve to give it the attention it deserves again, though. Let it be known that the long form is still a friend of mine; to serve as proof, here's a vignette that is just barely too long to be encapsulated in a tweet in any satisfactory way.

This afternoon I met Justin at Cafe Provincia for his lunch break. I didn't want to eat anything, but I bought a China Cola and went to the counter to pay for it before sitting down. Now, Cafe Provincia is known by me for playing pretty good music, making it a better lunch spot, atmospherically speaking, than most others in the neighb. Last couple times I was there, if I remember right, I heard Stevie Wonder and the Bee Gees. Today they were playing CBS-FM.

Um, so, okay, [legendary New York oldies station] CBS-FM plays songs from the eighties now? And, like, that means ALL of the eighties. As I attained the counter and put my money on it, the song playing was wait for it wait for it "We Didn't Start the Fire." And so of course, since I do sing along with the radio, the lady who rang me up for my China Cola had to add this to the list, no doubt substantial, of indignities she suffered during work today: me looking her in the eye and going, "Wheel of Fortune, Sally Ride, heavy metal suicide. Foreign jets, homeless vets! AIDS, crack, Bernie Goetz!" I couldn't help it, because that is what was on at that exact moment. And because that is how I am.

Everyone: I'm sorry.

2 comments:

Ranger said...

I have worked in customer service for years, and I have to say, if you had come in and sung "We Didn't Start the Fire" while I rang up your drink, I would've leapt across the counter and embraced you.

Amanda said...

Maybe I should have just embraced this girl pre-emptively as the song was ending.